Saturday 29 June 2013

Recipe: pork, apple and sage burgers: cheaper than chips

Pork, apple and sage burgers

Ingredients:
400g pork mince  (£1.50)
1 small onion  (4p)
1 small apple  (free)
several sage leaves (picked from garden)
a good dash of lemon juice - and grated zest, if using a fresh lemon which I didn't (no idea, estimate 5p)
30g fresh breadcrumbs (I used wholemeal) (free because they'd already been costed in a few weeks back but the bread wasn't used so I zizzed it into crumbs and froze them)
Salt and pepper to taste (estimate 2p)
a squeeze of garlic puree
1 mini egg (free) - or about one third of a bigger egg and use the rest for scrambled egg or whatever.

Method:
I made this using Thermione and I will post what I did below but here's the 'normal' way.

Put the mince in a bowl.
Peel and finely chop the onion.  Peel, core and finely chop the apple.  Add to the bowl.
Finely chop the sage leaves and add.
Add the lemon juice, the breadcrumbs, the salt, pepper and egg.
Mix very well together until everything is well combined.  I would use my hands for this.

Heat a small saucepan and fry a little bit to taste.  If necessary, adjust seasoning.

Shape into burgers, fry and eat, or wrap well and freeze.

The Thermione way

Peel and chunk the onion.  Peel, core and chunk the apple.
Put the onion, apple and sage in the bowl and zizz for about 7 to 10 seconds on 6.  Push down the sides and, if not fine enough, zizz again until it is the texture you want.

Add all the other ingredients and reverse/speed 1 until all is well combined.  Then continue as above.

Using my burger press, I made nine burgers which are now in the freezer.  With the cheapies and freebies, each burger costs approximately 18.5p  Without the freebies they would cost more but not terribly expensive all the same.  I could have made it go further by using some crushed pulses of some kind - chick peas or kidney beans.

2 comments:

  1. Yummy this sounds delicious, Gonna give these ago one evening this week, thanks for sharing.

    Simon

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pleasure, Simon. Nice to 'meet' you!
    J x

    ReplyDelete