Thursday 20 June 2013

Recipe: Best ever chicken balti

I make no claims for it being the best ever, I wouldn't know, but it certainly is very tasty and delicious and so on.  Not all that frugal, sadly, but a darn sight better than a supermarket ready meal or, heavens forbid, a takeaway!

It makes loads, especially if you ignore the ;list of ingredients and add a few suitable vegetables, softened in butter before adding (I do).   I don't add the fresh coriander because I don't like eating soapy tasting stuff.  I have a feeling last time I made it I used some chopped tomatoes too.  The mango chutney is essential!   Finally, it isn't a balti, of course, but who cares.  It's scrummy and that's all that matters!!

Here's the recipe as I have saved it on my hard drive.


Ingredients
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
1 teaspoon minced garlic
3 tablespoons tomato puree
2 tablespoons Greek yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander
2 tablespoons mango chutney
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
4 tablespoons oil
2 green chilies, chopped
2 tablespoons single cream

Method
1 Blend together the tomato puree, yoghurt, garam masala, chili powder, garlic, mango chutney, salt and sugar.

2 Heat oil and add tomato mixture-cook for approx 2 minutes-stirring occasionally.

3 Add chopped chicken and a little cold water, and continue to cook until chicken is cooked through, stirring occasionally.

 4 Add chilies, coriander and cream, stir in well and cook for a few minutes more. If the sauce is a little thick just add water to achieve your preferred consistency.

5 Serve with boiled rice and/or naan bread.

N.B -This freezes well


Could also add chopped red pepper, a can of chopped tomatoes, use coconut milk instead of cream, etc.


2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to trying this, sounds gorgeous:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Sweffling. It really is delicious and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. :-)

    J x

    ReplyDelete