So I set the bacon on to fry gently (it goes just how I like it fried slowly and loads of fat is released). I went to get out the bread and uh-oh - mould.
By the time all the bad crust was cut off it was totally the wrong size for a sarnie - and it was very dry. However, I didn't need any more breadcrumbs. However - croutons might come in useful and I had some bacon fat in the pan. I tossed the cut up bread in the bacon fat (when the bacon was done and out) and then tipped them onto a roasting dish to bake in the oven for a while. It worked a treat.
So my brain got a-working. I patted all the fat off the bacon and popped it, wrapped, in the fridge for a while. Then I made a dressing, based on something I found by Mary Berry. She said you dont need anchovies for a Caesar dressing (although they are nice) so this is what I did.
I put a dollop mof mayo (it happened to be a bit of leftover home made, but it didn't have to be). To that I whisked in some lemon juice, Worcester sauce and garlic puree, going very much by taste. Finally I whisked in a little EVOO. No extra seasoning. It went into the fridge until lunch time.
At lunch time I made a salad of lettuce, radishes, tomatoes (yup, from the garden!), some pitted black olives (I have a couple of very old tins and it I don't use them I will lose them!) and cucumber. I poured over the dressing, mixed it well and put it in a bowl. To that I added some shavings of not-parmesan (Morrison's value), the bacon cut into little bits and the croutons. It was absolutely delicious and one I will do again, perhaps with chicken or tuna next time.