Sunday 7 February 2016

Cooking for one: basic curry

Thank you, Google Images
It called it 'basic' in the book but it still had a list of spices.  Fortunately I had them all in although I wouldn't swear to the age of some of them!!!

I made it to have yesterday, should my friends not arrive, but they did, so into the freezer it goes.  It will be more flavoursome after a time in the freezer anyway.

I cut the ingredients down to make it for one because I wasn't sure how it would turn out and didn't want another portion left, should it not be very pleasant.  However, it was tasty and a lot easier than it looks.

It's very adaptable with versions for chicken, meat, fish or vegetables although the only thing different is the protein and how much water you put in.  It doesn't say pulses but I reckon chick peas would go well.
I used two small boned thighs, trimmed off all the fat and sliced them.

The sauce (for one portion)
2 tbsp oil (I cut this down to one and it was fine)
1 small/medium onion, finely chopped or very thinly sliced
1 garlic clove or half tsp garlic puree
small piece fresh ginger, chopped (or half tsp 'lazy' ginger
third tsp ground coriander
pinch turmeric
eighth tsp cumin and garam masala
half tsp paprika
1 tomato, chopped
salt
coriander leaves to garnish (I didn't - I don't like them)

Make the sauce:
Heat the oil, add the onion and gently fry for about 20 mins until the onion is deep brown.
Add the garlic and ginger and fry for 1 min
Ad the coriander and fry, stirring, for one min
Add the turmeric, cumin, garam masala and paprika and saute for half a min
Add 100 mls water and cook for 10 mins.   Keep checking and stirring.
Add the tomato, stir in and cook for five mins.
Add salt to taste.

Protein - the bits in brackets are my comments
1 breast fillet (sliced)
2 small thighs or one larger one (sliced)
2 drumsticks
(or turkey steak)
+ 150ml water

150g stewing lamb
+ 250mls water

1 fillet of cod
1 salmon steak
(I think these would be too fragile and would break up.
100ml water

110g mixed, diced veg
(chick peas - I would say two or three tbsp)
+ 200 mls water

Add the protein and the water.  Cook until done.  The water evaporates away and the sauce thickens.  Add more water, if necessary.
Eat with flatbread or rice.

Taken from '50 great curries of India' by Camellia Panjabi.










No comments:

Post a Comment