Sunday 27 April 2014

Oat Biscuits: Living Below The Line

When I do LBTL I have budgeted for some digestives (value, of course) at a cost of 31p.  They're mostly for having with a smear of soft cheese and a dab of jam for afters and/or snacks.

Then I remembered that I created a recipe for oat biscuits a while ago so looked it up, then found one by googling and compared the two.  In essence they are very simple, although I will be making some frugal changes for LBTL, and I will have them instead of digestives.  At least with mine I will know what's in them, won't I?  That will be a saving of about 23p, huge when you only have a pound a day!  You see, the oats are already accounted for.

Here's the recipe I will use.

200g porridge oats
1 tsp salt
a grinding of black pepper
50 mls oil (in the original recipes this was either butter or EVOO)
a little boiling water

Method:
Put about 3/4 of the oats in a blender (I used Thermione, of course) with the salt and pepper and zizz them until they are fine oatmeal.
Pour into a bowl.
Add the remaining oats and the oil and mix well.
Pour in a little boiling water, enough to turn the oats into a kneadable dough.  Knead briefly.
Turn on the oven to about 160C (fan)
Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface and gently roll until about 5 mm thick (or less if you want thinner crackers, it doesn't matter)
Cut into rounds or squares, whatever you fancy.
Place the oatcakes onto a prepared baking sheet (I used a teflon liner) and bake for around 15 mins until they are crisp and a little browned.
Cool on a wire rack and keep in an airproof container.

Notes:
The dough rolls best when it is warm.  If it cools, just pop it in the microwave for ten seconds.
For a finer oatcake, you could zizz all the oats.
I'm just umming and ahing now about what they would taste like if I used some of the syrup from the tinned pineapple instead of water.  Thoughts?

Please do consider supporting me by donating to our chosen cause, ActionAid.  Many thanks.
https://www.livebelowtheline.com/me/jmc296


2 comments:

  1. You have my support Joy donation made

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much, Diane, that's really good of you. Your support is very much appreciated by Beth and by me.
    J x

    ReplyDelete