Sunday 27 April 2014

Cheap tarts! Live Below The Line

After deciding to substitute home made oatcakes for digestives, I am now going to spoil myself with a value jar of lemon curd.  It'll be nice in yoghurt, on porridge, it might even make a nice drink, you never know.

So I thought of lemon curd tarts.  But what to do for pastry as I'm not using butter, etc.  Oil!  (hmmmm?)

So I tried.

Ingredients:
40g SR flour (value)
10g oil (cheap veg oil)
a tiny pinch of salt
a titchy bit of water
a little plain flour for rolling

Put the SR in a bowl and add the salt.
Then add the oil and mix it in with a fork.
Then add enough water to make a dough - very little needed.

Form into a ball and roll out on a lightly floured surface.

Make the tarts the usual way and bake in an oven at 180C until done (about 15 mins).  Cool on a wire rack.

Result:
Well, it's not jam tarts as I remember them as a child but then it wouldn't be, would it? But it's not bad at all, it really isn't and with a dollop of yoghurt on top it's rather scrummy.  My pastry is usually dire and this wasn't which really surprised me.  The mix made five little jam tarts (so it would be three or maybe four normal sized ones) and suffice it to say, they've all gone.
The jam/lemon curd is already costed in.  The flour (value SR) is 1.5p and the oil is 0.5p (a little less for both but I rounded it up.  3p for four rather nice jam tarts.  Definitely a winner!

So that's another thing to make if I can and maybe a treat for the last evening?

No comments:

Post a Comment