Thursday 24 March 2016

An ad hoc vegetable korma

Made for the same lady as the fish pie so same food issues.  This didn't have much depth of flavour or heat but was very tasty all the same so I thought I'd share it.  I haven't stated amounts because it is a throw it all in and see idea!

Ingredients
One onion, peeled and sliced
A bit of butter
Some Patak korma paste (OK, so I cheated - don't we all from time to time?  Also it was an ingredient my friend knew she could have without repercussions)
A selection of veg, peeled and chopped.  I used carrot, potato, parsnip, sweet potato and peas
Some vegetable stock.  I used Marigold.
Boiling water
Coconut milk - about the same amount as the water.
salt and pepper

Method
Saute the onions gently in the butter long and slow until translucent and golden.
Increase the heat, add the paste and fry, stirring often.
Add the rest of the veg, stirring to coat with the korma paste (add more paste if you think it is needed).
Then add the stock powder, the water and the coconut milk plus the seasonings, stir well, cover and either simmer gently on the hob or pop into a medium oven.

It cooked for about 90 minutes but was ready before then.  It's a very forgiving recipe!  If it's too watery, take off the lid and evaporate some of the liquid away.  If it is too thick, add some more ware or coconut milk.  Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed.

You could add meat or pep it up with some garlic, chilli and ginger, if you wanted, or some fruit such as pineapple or apricot.

We ate it with basmati rice and it was most satisfying

I'm very pleased that there was enough left to freeze for when my friend returns in a fortnight.


4 comments:

  1. With some of my favourite guest recipes I have marked the pages with the people I cooked them for that way I don't repeat the process and serve them the same thing each time they visit

    ReplyDelete
  2. :-) For my friend, she is glad for me to repeat successful meals as she doesn't cook much herself. :-)
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Turmeric powder flavours and colours rice quite nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They do, yes. Thanks.
    J x

    ReplyDelete