Saturday 9 August 2014

Recipe: Julian's Green Tomato Chutney

This is the recipe I used to make the green tomato chutney.  It tastes good already but I am leaving to for a month or so before starting in on it.  The only amendment I would suggest is to go easy with the cayenne - it definitely has a glow about it which I like but others might prefer a little less heat.

Also I used a mix of vinegars: brown and white malt.

It can be found on the Internet, here.

Ingredients:
600g green tomatoes
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
250g sultanas
250g dark brown sugar
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp nutmeg (I just grated a whole one)
500mls malt vinegar

Chop everything up small (I used Thermione)
Bung it in a good, heavy bottomed pan
Slowly bring to a boil, stirring while the sugar dissolves
Simmer gently for ages, stirring now and again, until it has reduced down to a thick mass of goodness.

Pour into sterilised jars, seam and label.

I would leave it for a few months as it tasted a bit 'new'.  I made double quantity and it gave me thirteen little pots full.

No comments:

Post a Comment