Monday 14 September 2015

Microwave tomato risotto


Purists will shudder.  I rather did myself and I am no purist!  But it works and it is nice.
I made half amount and I'm glad I did because it makes loads.  Below is the original, for 4 (generous portions for hungry people).  I had one portion for lunch (very filling indeed) and the other portion will be tomorrow's lunch after a quick heat up in the microwave.

Ingredients
300g basic arborio rice
1 onion, diced
30g butter
300 mls water
1 veg stock cube
500 mls passata
250g tomatoes
125g drained Mozarella, grated (I used Morrison's Savers)
I also added a tsp dried mixed herbs.

Method
Chop the onions.
Mix the onions, butter and risotto rice in a large microwaveable bowl.
Cook for three minutes on high in the microwave.
Add the passata and the water and stir well.  Add the stock cube.  Add the chopped tomatoes, add the grated mozzarella.  Mix well.
Cover with cling film and return to the microwave.  I pierced the cling film.
Cook on high for ten minutes or until done.  It took a fair bit longer than ten minutes for me.

Stir well before serving.

It would be a scrummy way to use up bits of ham or chicken - just stir in the cooked meat at the end.

And finally - I might try it in Thermione next time.  It would take longer but be self stirring!

No comments:

Post a Comment