Thursday 6 August 2015

Recipe: wholemeal granary bread

Really gorgeous bread so I thought it worth a posting.

For each 200g of flour (which consists of 100g strong wholemeal and 100g granary flour) use:
half a tsp instant yeast (the kind for breadmakers)
half tsp salt
half tsp sugar
1 tsp dried milk powder
a knob of butter (probably around 10g)
and 140 mls warm water

Method
Mix together and knead for around ten minutes or so until you have a lovely, stretchy, soft dough (it does make a gorgeous dough) or do the hard work in a mixer.
Place in a buttered bowl, cover with cling film and leave in a warm place until the dough has doubled in size.

Tip out and knock back.
Shape into a loaf.
Place in a loaf tin or on a prepared baking sheet, cover, and prove - this takes around half an hour but you have to go with the dough.
Bake in an oven that has been heated as hot as it will go and turned down to 180C as the bread is put in.
Bake for about half an hour.  Cool on a wire rack.

This amount makes a 1 lb sized loaf, six little rolls or four bigger rolls.

I tend to work with 600g flour at a time - just times everything by 3.

I will try it with just one rising to see if that works OK too.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so good! Trouble is i eats it all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - shocking, isn't it? I mean - eating bread????? :-) I suppose with all that whole grain and fibre, one can feel a bit healthy!
    It really is a delicious bread, Rachel. It's what I shall be making as my default loaf from now on!
    J x

    ReplyDelete