Friday 23 October 2015

Waste not, want not: chicken risotto the thermomix way

The background to this is that the other day I was meandering around Morrisons when I saw that they had reduced some cooked chicken portions so I bought a bag with two for just over £3.00.
There was more meat on them than I expected so I had some that day and reserved the rest.  I also kept the bones and the skin.

Yesterday I boiled up the bones and skin and got quite a nice basic stock.  I also had a splash of dry white wine which I added.  It came to 400mls altogether - 300 of stock and 100 of white wine.

This is what I did with it.  Nothing original but it is nice and I am sharing.

Chicken risotto
Ingredients
a dollop of butter
one small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
some celery, cleaned and thinly sliced
a squeeze of garlic puree
130g risotto rice
400mls stock and wine
3 chestnut mushrooms, cleaned and chopped
salt and pepper
some cooked chicken, cut into bite sized bits
some hard Italian cheese, finely grated.

I also had some very hot water ready in the kettle, but it wasn't needed.

Method
Melt the butter in the bowl for 1 minute at 100, speed 2
Add the onion and the celery and saute on 100, reverse speed 2 for 5 minutes or so, until it is softened.  Add the garlic puree and cook for another minute on the same.

Add the rice and saute on 100, reverse 2 for 2 minutes.

Through the top, add all the stock/wine, some ground black pepper and some salt.  If your stock is salty, don't add the salt until you can check the seasoning at the end.
Cook the rice on 100, reverse spoon for 15 mins, checking after about 12 to see if you need any more liquid.  No measuring cup!
After ten minutes, add the mushrooms.

Check that the rice is cooked and if not, cook for another couple of minutes until it is al dente/soft.
Check seasoning and adjust if necessary.
Add the chicken and gently stir it in - reverse speed 1
Then add the grated cheese and cook at 100 for 1 minute/reverse spoon.

That's it.
This made enough for dinner yesterday and lunch at school today.  I will heat it up in the microwave and grate over some nutmeg before serving.
The house smells rather good now!



No comments:

Post a Comment