Sunday 5 October 2014

White bread (refined)

I've refined the ordinary white loaf recipe that I use week by week.  I nearly said 'my' recipe but, of course, it isn't.  It is from the gorgeous Mr Hollywood.  The additions are not original but they are 'mine' in that I didn't look them up anywhere or copy someone else's recipe.

Anyway, this is now what I use

500g strong white flour (or replace up to half of it with ordinary plain white flour for frugality as I often do).
a heaped tsp dried yeast (or one and a half tsps as dried yeast doesn't really 'heap')
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
25-30g butter
1 tbsp dried milk powder
315mls warm water

It makes a delicious, soft white loaf with a crusty outside.  I make it in the same way as always in Thermione.

Flour first, then all the other dry ingredients and the butter.
Blitz on 6 until butter is incorporated and everything is mixed well.
Add the water.
Blitz on 6 again until mix comes together.

Knead for ten minutes, then allow the dough to rise in the bowl.

Knead for 1 minute to knock back the dough, then remove, shape, prove and bake.  I make two loaves in one pound loaf tins.

Dead easy, better than bought and totally frugal!

No comments:

Post a Comment