Saturday 25 October 2014

Carrot, sweet potato and lentil soup

Another variation on a theme.  Thermione based but, as always, easy enough to do on the hob, just not as trouble free as in the Thermomix.

I had two manky carrots, one shrivelling sweet potato and a bag of fresh soup mix veg.  I always have lentils in the cupboard.
This is what I did.

Ingredients:
two carrots, peeled and chopped
one small sweet potato, peeled and chopped.
about 1/4 of a bag of fresh soup mix veg (Morrisons - still brill value)
soft butter
2 knorr veg stock pots
a good pinch of mixed, dried herbs
a grinding of pepper
four tbsp red lentils
boiling water

Method:
Put the vegetables in the bowl and add the butter.
Mix on 4, reverse speed 4 for about 5 seconds

saute on 100, reverse speed 2 for 10 minutes, pushing down the sides if needed

Add the remaining ingredients with enough boiling water to reach the 2 litre mark

Cook on 100, speed 2, 20 mins.
Allow to cool for a short time, then zizz on 10 for about a minute.

This doesn't make a very thick soup, it makes a more fluid, totally delicious and filling soup.  If you want it thicker, don't add so much water.

I had some for lunch yesterday and will be having more today.  I'm going to add some frozen mixed veg and cook it a bit more in Thermione for a chunkier effect.  I might add some bits of chicken that I have in the freezer.  Some shredded ham would be lovely, if I had some, or Morrison's sell cold meat 'bits' very reasonably - some of that would also lift it to full meal status.

Lucky I like soup, isn't it, especially adaptable soups like this?


No comments:

Post a Comment