Sunday 23 February 2014

Recipe: roasted red pepper, tomato and vegetable soup with lentils (roasted soup for short): reasonably frugal

. . . using what I had in the fridge and garden

Ingredients to make at least five portions:
1 leek, washed, topped and tailed and cut into chunks.
2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into quarters
1 sweet potato, peeled and chunked
1 medium carrot, topped and tailed and cut into chunks.
some celery (I guess it was about one rib but I cut it across the top)
3 or 4 cloves of garlic, peeled
some olive oil (or other oil)
some herbs (whatever you fancy) and/or spices (ditto).  I used smoked paprika and mixed herbs
vegetable stock
a handful of lentils
seasonings

I also added sun dried tomatoes in oil and some sun dried tomato paste because I had some but I wouldn't have otherwise.  It does make it taste nice though.

Method:
Put all the veg into a roasting dish, add a good glug of oil, mix well and pop into the oven to roast.  You want some charry bits for flavour.
When the veg is all soft, add some hot veg stock and let it soak to lift off all the lovely roasted bits, then scrape into a saucepan.  Add the tomato paste, sun-dried tomatoes, ground pepper and lentils with some seasonings, herbs, spices, etc.  Heat and simmer until the lentils are cooked, then blitz well until really smooth.  Add more water if it's too thick  (I also added some milk to make it 'creamy'), check seasonings and adjust if necessary.
Reheat, serve and enjoy.

Really, really delicious!



No comments:

Post a Comment