Sunday 29 May 2016

Repeat post: tomato ketchup

I made this quite a while ago.  It came out very spicy and I haven't really used it much recently.  However, the other day I was brave and tried some with the turkey patties I was having for dinner and wow!  So, so delicious.  The flavour has mellowed so much.  It still has a spiciness but not one that tastes 'raw'. It's improved so much and is so tasty that I thought I'd repost, especially as the tomato season will be on us in a couple of months.  Guess what I will be making . . .

One change - it will definitely go into wide necked jars this time!

Here's the copied post.
Borrowed from Google but very like what I made - quite dark and very thick after all the zizzing.
I made this recipe today.  Someone posted it in a Facebook group and apart from that I have no idea where it comes from, sorry.
I'll share the recipe first and then make some comments.

Ingredients
2kg (4lb) ripe tomatoes
450g (1lb) onions
450g (1lb) sugar – light brown is best but could use demerara or granulated
12 cloves – or thereabouts
10g (1/2 oz) allspice – I use 1 tbsp of whole berries
25g (1 oz) salt
375ml (3/4 pint) cider vinegar – also works with others but not malt vinegar
10g (1/2 oz) black peppercorns – again, about 1tbsp will do
2.5ml (1/2 tsp) cayenne pepper or chilli powder

Method

Slice/chop the tomatoes and onions. Put everything in a heavy based pan and slowly bring to the boil. Simmer for 2 hours. Whizz with a hand held blender and push through a sieve after that (do this whilst it is still hot). Bottle into sterilized, wide necked bottles or jars.


This makes about six 310g bottles (Reggae Reggae sauce bottles are brilliant for this) or 4 or 5 1lb jam jars. Store in a cool place and it will keep for months. Pop in the fridge once opened.



My comments:
1.  I used a tin of chopped tomatoes and made it up to 1k(I did half quantity) with cherry toms.  I then added a good squirt of tomato puree as the fresh tomatoes weren't as flavoursome as they could be (shop bought).

2.  It's quite spicy.  Really, really good but spicy.  When I make it again, which I will, I will halve the peppercorns and the cayenne (which is what I used).
(Edited:  no I won't, it is now just perfect!  Give it time to mature)

3.  I needed to add some water half way through the boiling as it was getting too dry.  Given that I needed to do that, maybe next time I will add some coca cola or pepsi.  I love the flavour that imparts.


No comments:

Post a Comment